Vaman is one of the five therapies of Panchakarma in Ayurveda. Vaman means therapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the aggravated Kapha dosha, which dislodges the toxins mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This therapy is done for preventive & curative purposes. Ayurveda believes that different seasons have a great influence on the aggravation of doshas, ex: Kapha in Hemant (spring season), Pitta in Sharada (winter) season and Vata in Greeshma (summers) season. Hence one can adopt Vaman therapy in spring i.e. Hemant season as a preventive therapy in order to prevent disorders related to Kapha.
- Dosha Shodhana: expelling the morbid doshas from the body
By expelling it out, the disease gets cured, often completely. Since Kapha is situated in the chest region, expelling it from the oral route is very easy. Hence, Vaman treatment is designed. To expel it out, first, the Kapha Dosha needs to be forcefully brought from the extremities and different organs into the stomach, and then vomiting is induced.
- Vaman is induced in order to eliminate the excess of mucus from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract that causes an excess of the Kapha.
- Pre-therapy procedure: Before inducing Vaman, the patient is asked to take Kapha aggravating food such as yogurt, sweets, basmati rice in the prior night. It is done with the intention of increasing Kapha so that it gets eliminated completely and forcefully from the system.
- On the next day, a drink made of vomit inducing drugs - madanphala, licorice, and calamus root tea is given. This drink triggers vomiting in the patient, if it doesn’t take place then it is induced by rubbing the tongue.
- In this manner the patient expels the whole Kapha outside and feels better & lighter after sometime.
- Post therapy: Patients should take rest completely and consume light food. Fasting is recommended after Vaman therapy as the whole system goes under heavy work.
- Lightness in the chest is often experienced after undergoing Vaman therapy.
- People analyses things more efficiently, promote good voice and good appetite.
- In ancient days Vaman was said to be given to one, after consumption of poison or food poisoning which is today followed by stomach wash in modern science.
- After Vaman, the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from congestion, wheezing and breathlessness.
- It is a highly efficient treatment in Asthma and skin related problems like psoriasis.
- Reduction in weight and cholesterol & triglycerides.